Show activity on this post.
- Install Microsoft SQL Management Studio, which you can download for free from Microsoft’s website: …
- Open Microsoft SQL Management Studio.
- Backup original database to . …
- Create empty database with new name (clone). …
- Click to clone database and open restore dialog (see image)
How do I clone a SQL Server database?
- From the navigation pane, go to Protect > Databases.
- Click the Databases tab. …
- Click the database that you want to clone. …
- Determine the backup that you want to clone. …
- Click Instant clone. …
- From the Destination server list, select the SQL Server client where the software creates the clone.
Can I copy and paste a SQL database?
You can use the Copy Database Wizard to copy or move databases between servers or to upgrade a SQL Server database to a later version. For more information, see Use the Copy Database Wizard. To copy an entire database, you can use the BACKUP and RESTORE Transact-SQL statements.
Can you clone a database?
Database cloning is the process of creating a point-in-time copy of a production database or its backup set. Cloned databases can be used for multiple purposes: During application development cycles for testing functionality that has to be implemented using the current database structure and content.
How do I copy SQL database from one computer to another?
Using SQL Server Management Studio, here are the steps:
- Right-click the database and select Tasks | Backup.
- Make sure that the Backup type is Full.
- Click Add and specify the location and backup name.
- Copy the created backup file to another computer.
What is SQL clone?
SQL Clone is a database provisioning tool that lets you create full copies of SQL Server databases and backups in seconds, using around 40 MB of disk space per clone.
How do I create a new database from an existing SQL Server database?
To create a development database
- In SQL Server Object Explorer, under the SQL Server node, expand your connected server instance.
- Right-click the Databases node and select Add New Database.
- Rename the new database to TradeDev.
- Right-click the Trade database in SQL Server Object Explorer, and select Schema Compare.
How do I move a SQL database from one server to another?
Open SQL Server Management Studio and follow the steps:
- Right-click on the database and select Tasks > Copy Database…
- Select a source server by entering the source server name. …
- Enter the destination server name and apply the authentication information this time.
How do I copy a database on the same server?
How to copy a database on the same SQL server
- step: Make a back up of your source database. Click on the desired database and choose “Backup” under tasks.
- step: Use copy only or use a full backup. …
- step: Use “Restore” to create a new database. …
- step: Choose the copy-only backup and choose a new name.