How to Wipe a Mac With an M1 Chip
- Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until the startup options window comes up. …
- When the Utilities window appears, select Disk Utility.
- In the sidebar, choose Macintosh HD.
- Click the “Erase” button, then select a file system format and enter a name for it.
How do I wipe my Mac hard drive completely?
For Mac users, the following steps show you how to wipe your hard drive clean.
- Restart your Mac. …
- Hold down the Command + R keys while your Mac is restarting. …
- Click Disc Utility. …
- Click View > Show All Devices.
- Select your Mac’s drive and then click Erase. …
- Click Erase and fill in the name, format, and Scheme.
How do I reset my Mac hard drive to factory settings?
How to Factory Reset a Mac Using Recovery Mode
- Restart your Mac. …
- Then press and hold the Command + R keys until you see the Apple logo appear. …
- Next, select Disk Utility.
- Then select Continue.
- In the Disk Utility window, click View.
- Then select Show All Devices. …
- Select the drive you want to erase. …
- Then click Erase.
How do I wipe my Mac computer clean and start over?
How to Factory Reset a Mac or MacBook (macOS Monterey)
- Click the Apple icon in the menu bar (top-left corner).
- Select System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Select ‘Erase All Contents and Settings. ‘
- Enter your password, select ‘OK. ‘
- Select the ‘Erase All Content & Settings’ button.
Does erasing Mac hard drive erase everything?
macOS Mojave or earlier
Regardless of your OS, you will be asked if you want to retain a copy of your iCloud data on the Mac you are working on. Select “yes” — you will be erasing the data anyway. Your data will remain in iCloud and any other devices signed into iCloud.
Why can’t I erase my Macintosh HD?
If you are trying to format the Mac hard drive or its volumes – Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD – Data, you will inevitably see the Erase button grayed out in Disk Utility. That’s because you can’t erase the drive you are currently running from, and you need to boot into Mac Recovery mode to format the Mac startup disk.
How do I reset my Mac to factory settings without a password?
If you still can’t reset your password, erase your Mac
When you’re asked to select an admin user you know the password for, choose Erase Mac from the Recovery Assistant menu in the menu bar. From the Erase Mac window, click Erase Mac, then click Erase Mac to confirm.
How do I factory reset my iMac 2011?
After the iMac shuts down completely but before it begins to restart, hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys at the same time. The Mac will display the macOS Utilities menu, from which you can reinstall Mac OS.
How do I wipe my 2009 iMac?
I am unable to erase hard drive using the following instructions: Restart iMac Holding down command and R key. Disk Utility (should be on screen) Check continue, choose start up disk,click erase button, choose Mac OS Extended, Click Erase.
How do I wipe my iMac 2014?
Hold down the Command and R keys as soon as you hear the Mac tone indicating a reboot. Wait for the macOS Utilities screen to appear, then click Disk Utility. Choose your Mac’s system drive, usually named Macintosh HD, then click Erase. Select the Format option Mac Extended (Journaled) or APFS.
How do I wipe my Mac 2015?
To do so, shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after 20 seconds or so. That’s it!